In last week’s Sunday’s how-to post, we discussed about how to get personalized domain. Let’s move to next step of running your own site – hosting. Basically, hosting refers to storage of your files in remote server. The files necessary to load your site are kept in a server storage where it is always up and connected to the internet, well at least theoretically.
Fortunately, there are many interesting web-hosting services in Nepal and the prospects are getting better and better with increasing progress in tech sector. Let’s make a short list of some web-hosts in Nepal.
Before entering the technical portion of this article, let’s discuss some practical aspects. First of all, there are going to be two divergent groups of people requiring two different types of hosts – free and premium.
Free hosting provides most basic services required for hosting while restricting some optional services as well as limiting the bandwidth, space or file size. Some may require you to advertise their service. Usually they are not as reliable as premium service, but that goes for granted. Also, their costumer care isn’t very good. Lack of SSL, hotlinking and SMTP seem to be the catch of free hosting in most trusted ones. With that being said, there is no need to panic since the modern free hosts provide all basic services required for a basic website.
Following is the list of some good free web-hosting services.
Premium hosting on the other hand provide state-of-the-art services, top notch costumer care and best in market utilities for easy setup and running of your site. It has to be noted that a lot depends on particular web-host although the distinction is generally very small.
There will be no discussion about pros and cons of each services. So, its up to you to check out the features of each services yourself.
So, lets move on to the how-to part. Since most readers of last how-to were interested in free hosting, we’ll discuss free hosting here. Unfortunately, there are no free web hosts operating in Nepal, so I’ll be demonstrating freehostia as a example but the procedure must be similar for most services. It should be noted that I have no affiliation to freehostia whatsoever and is only as example.
- Check out different service listed above (or find on your own) and find one perfect for your needs.
- Signup for an account.
- Fill the form with required details. Choose free plan. If you don’t have a domain, you can add that later.
- Login to cpanel. The login details are e-mailed to you.
- You can access all available services in cpanel.
- Determine the nameservers. Nameservers are address unique to each host which help to link files hosted to your domain. Use this nameservers while registering your domain or while chainging the hosting.
For freehostia, it is as follows:
Primary nameserver: dns1.freehostia.com
Secondary nameserver: dns2.freehostia.com
- Check site status. It may take a while for you site to come online.
- Create sub-domains if necessary.
- Start uploading related files. It can be done via File Manager or FTP.
- Alternatively, you can use Application one-click-installer to install certain web-apps or use website builder to build site.
- Create a Webmail account.
- Manage SQL database accounts.
Now, you’re ready to host your site.